- Don't stand for shoddy service. If you're not being served, simply walk out of the shop. There are few stores selling an item that can't be found elsewhere. It may be an inconvenience, but these shops won't improve their standard of service until their sales figures give them reason to.
- Never shop on a Saturday. OK, you've got the day off, but so has the rest of the world. By the afternoon, the merchandise can be all over the place and the staff are flagging.
- Dress the part. Wear flat shoes, jeans and vests so you are as comfortable as possible when you are walking up and down the High Street. And go shopping on a good hair day — if your hair looks bad, the whole outfit won't feel right. The same applies with make-up.
- Go online first. Use the internet to do your research before you go out to the shops. Log on after the major catwalk shows to get ideas for what's coming up and check out the season's key fashion pieces.
- Don't buy in haste. If you're not sure, don't buy it. If you've got time and don't mind taking the risk, put everything back - except exceptional items - until the end of the day before making a choice.
Friday, January 29, 2010
Golden Rules of Shopping by Mary Portas
Posted by Kay at 1:00 PM